As a council we have worked really hard to make positive changes to school for our students. These are just a few of the things we have worked in recent years:
- Implementing our buddy system. This gives younger and new students to school a friendly face and someone that they can talk to or play with at breaks. Our buddies learn to be very responsible and give a real commitment to their role.
- Changing assembly times to make the end of day more calming for students
- Tea with head teacher. Our students were keen to be rewarded with something extra special and so decided they would like to have tea with Shivaun. After each achievement assembly a few names are randomly selected and get to enjoy a drink and chat with Shivaun in her office.
- Creating our Values DVD. Students wanted to let everyone know what was important to all students at Sherbourne. They did this by creating a DVD to show the thoughts and opinions of lots of our students about what is important to them. (shown below)
- Assisting outside agencies to recruit new staff. Our student council were approached to help SEND Information Advice and Support Service. We met with a number of applicants and then fed back to staff. This was a great exercise for the school council and they felt like they had been given lots of responsibility.
- Our student council created a video in 2017, which aimed at showing people that there is much more to our students, than their disabilities. (Shown below)
- Our students created a video, showing the accessibility of Coventry City Centre. It had some good areas, and some areas which were incredibly frustrating for wheelchair users to access. This was shared with some members of Coventry City Council, who were very impressed, and took away the video to show to other members of the council to help them with their accessibility plans. (Shown below)